The Rotary Club of Armidale originated as a provisional club following the personal intervention of the Newcastle-based District Governor Ben Gelling on 3 May 1933. It became an official club with the granting of Rotary Charter No. 3615 on 25 August 1933 with 22 members. Its unusual formation without an official "sponsoring" club was remedied by the Rotary Club of Newcastle which quickly "adopted" the new Club after its formation and helped it through its early years.
The Club has been involved in a long succession of community service projects and international involvements, reflecting their times, ranging from support of the unemployed and "poor children" in the Depression years, through "Food for Britain" packages in 1944 to, in more recent times, the funding and building of a library in a Thai village and the support of the current Backtracker programme for the Aboriginal youth.
Not surprising, in a city with such a large student population, the Club has been heavily involved in youth programmes and annual citizenship awards for promising young people in the city's several schools since 1954.
The Club has played a major role in the extension of Rotary throughout the New England region through its sponsorship of new clubs - Guyra in 1945, Walcha in 1956, Uralla 1957, Armidale North in 1971 and Armidale Central in 1984 - as well as the the formation of Probus Clubs in Armidale.
Proud members of the Rotary Club of Armidale and recently, they celebrated 250 years of combined membership of the club and service to the community.